The best total gyms are the solutions for working out and getting fit within the comfort of our own home. They are designed for fitness sharks and amateurs to do a wide range of exercises without going to the gyms.
As an increasing number of people have become more health-conscious and interested in working out, the market is flooded with total gym machines. Picking out the best one on your own can be overwhelming. That’s why in this post, we’ll provide in-depth reviews of the best total gyms to help you decide on a suitable option for your fitness goal.
- 1 Top Best Total Gyms Reviews 2020
- 1.1 1. Bowflex Home Gym Series – Blaze
- 1.2 2. Marcy MWM-988 Multifunction Steel Home Gym
- 1.3 3. Marcy Smith Cage Workout Machine Total Body Training Home Gym
- 1.4 4. Total Gym 1400 Deluxe Home Fitness Exercise Machine Equipment
- 1.5 5. Total Gym XLS – Universal Home Gym for Total Body Workout
- 1.6 6. Total Gym APEX G3 Versatile Indoor Home Workout
- 1.7 7. Total Gym APEX G5 Versatile Indoor Home Workout Total Body
- 1.8 8. Total Gym APEX G1 Versatile Indoor Home Workout
- 1.9 9. Body-Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym
- 1.10 10. GR8FLEX High Performance Gym – Golden XL Model
- 2 Conclusion: Top 3 Picks
Top Best Total Gyms Reviews 2020
1. Bowflex Home Gym Series – Blaze
The Bowflex Blaze is one of the best total gyms for budget, perfect for anyone new to these machines. It offers more than 65 gym-quality exercises for the chest, shoulders, back, arms, abs, and legs, so that you can practice all of your muscle groups.
Featured with the 210 lbs. Power Rod resistance technology, which is upgradeable to 310 lb. or 410 lb. The machine allows you to maximize your training and reach your fitness goals. The lat tower with an angled bar is made for building muscles in the back and shoulders faster.
This Bowflex Blaze features a sliding bench with a sliding rail so that you can perform aerobic rowing and leg presses. However, there are no straps to keep your feet in place while rowing.
Various cable/pulley positions allow you to custom your workouts. The machine also comes with an instructional placard and triple function hand-grip/ankle cuffs. It is covered with a 1-year warranty on the frame, 60 days for parts, and 5 years for the rods.
- More than 65 gym-quality exercises for different muscle groups
- 210 lbs. Power Rod resistance, 210 lbs. Power Rod resistance
- Sliding bench for rowing exercises
- Various cable/pulley positions for custom workouts
- 1-year warranty on the frame
- No straps to keep feet in place while rowing
2. Marcy MWM-988 Multifunction Steel Home Gym
Constructed with a heavy-duty 14 gauge steel tube frame, this total gym is durable enough for a wide range of exercises for a full workout. It is sturdy and operates smoothly. It features a workout chart so that you can see what exercises can be done on the machine.
The two separate lateral bars are great for pulldowns, building chest, and back muscles. The press arm has two settings: vertical butterfly and chest press, which is excellent for upper-body exercises and easy to switch with a knob.
The leg developer aligns with the knee joints, together with four foam rollers, give users a proper position and quick exercise experience. The adjustable preacher curl bicep pad allows you to work on your biceps while keeping a comfortable position and not straining yourself.
Our complaint is that the assembly instructions are confusing, and missing some steps, so putting the parts together can be painful.
- Durable enough for a wide range of exercises
- Features a workout chart
- Press arm has two settings: vertical butterfly and chest press
- Keep users in proper and comfortable position
- Assembly instructions are confusing.
3. Marcy Smith Cage Workout Machine Total Body Training Home Gym
The Marcy MD-9010G meets all the requirements of the best total gyms. Being an all-steel home gym system, it’s durable and stable for multiple exercises. As a complete training system, the unit combines arm and leg stations, and you can target different muscle groups without purchasing lots of equipment.
The multi-functional dual-action press arms enable users to perform chest and arm exercises, while the dual-action leg developer with six rocker pads and a row/curl bar is great for leg exercises.
The pivot point on the machine ensures your body is in proper position during workouts. Plus, the Olympic free-weight rack with six plate legs lets you do weightlifting and strength training.
Combining a Smith machine, an Olympic free-weight rack, and a cable routed pulley system, you can perform over 100 exercises on this machine. However, the bench is not flat, so doing flat bench press can be annoying.
- Durable and stable
- Target different muscle groups
- Multi-functional dual-action press arms
- Dual-action leg developer
- Ensures your body is in proper position
- Combines a Smith machine, an Olympic free-weight rack, and a cable routed pulley system
- Bench is not totally flat for flat bench press
4. Total Gym 1400 Deluxe Home Fitness Exercise Machine Equipment
With more than 60 different exercises, the Total Gym 1400 Deluxe is among the best total gyms to get your muscles toned. You can do cardio, strength training, and stretching on this machine. It also includes an exercise chart, a nutrition guide, and a Total Body Workout DVD to help you reach your fitness goals.
Not just bring tremendous value to users, the unit is lightweight and easy to fold and store. It comes with various attachments such as a dumbbell set, a low row bar, a lat bar, a bicep curl bar, cable handles, which means you can train different muscle groups on your body.
With 8 levels of resistance, you can adjust the glide board and challenge yourself with more challenging exercises. Made of high-grade materials and offering multiple functions, this Total Gym 1400 comes at a low price, making it one of the best budget options.
The only downside we found is the glide board. It’s relatively short and flimsy for big and tall people.
- More than 60 different exercises
- Cardio, strength training, and stretching
- Includes an exercise chart, a nutrition guide, and a Total Body Workout DVD
- Lightweight and easy to fold and store
- Various attachments to train different muscle groups
- 8 levels of resistance
- Glide board is short and flimsy.
5. Total Gym XLS – Universal Home Gym for Total Body Workout
We rank the Total Gym XLS as the best overall total gym in this list because it’s durable, functional, and comfortable to use. The design is sleek and neat, and perfect for people of almost all ages. You can choose to fold it for storage if you have limited space, but we recommend you have a space for it as the device is quite bulky.
This beast is an all-in-one equipment for cardio, strength training, stretching, circuit training, yoga, pilates, and more. Not only equipped with a padded glide board and grips to keep your body comfortable, but the XLS also has a padded headboard to avoid head injuries.
The machine also comes with many attachments for different exercises, including a leg pull accessory, a wing attachment, a training deck, a ribbed squat stand, and a glide board. You can perform over 80 different exercises of different types, targeting every muscle. Moreover, this thing also comes with 5 different instructional DVDs, a nutrition plan, and an exercise chart.
- Durable, functional, and comfortable to use
- For cardio, strength training, stretching, circuit training, yoga, pilates, and more
- Padded glide board, grips, headboard
- Many attachments for different exercises
- Over 80 different exercises
- 5 instructional DVDs, a nutrition plan, and an exercise chart
- Too bulky to fold and store away every time
6. Total Gym APEX G3 Versatile Indoor Home Workout
The Apex G3 is another budget option on our list. With 8 levels of resistance, you can freely challenge yourself with increasing difficulties. The thing comes with a squat stand and a set of dip bars, which significantly improves your workout experience. It can support a maximum weight of 300 pounds, which is enough to accommodate most people.
The thing comes with a wing attachment, squat stand, leg pull accessory, dip bars, exercise flip chart, Total Gym TV access, exercise and nutrition guides, manual, and a DVD. You can perform over 80 exercises on it and reach your workout goal.
The G3 is a low-impact machine, so it suits people aged 8 to 80. The padded and ergonomic glide board protects your hips and back tremendously. The high-quality steel frame with auto-lock height adjustment makes the thing safe to use. It is backed by a 1-year warranty. Its weakness is the small and flimsy footpad.
- 8 levels of resistance
- Include various attachments
- Total Gym TV access, exercise, and nutrition guides, manual, DVD
- Over 80 exercises
- Padded and ergonomic glide board
- High-quality steel frame with auto-lock height adjustment
- Small and flimsy foot pad
7. Total Gym APEX G5 Versatile Indoor Home Workout Total Body
The Apex G5 is a slightly more expensive model than the G3, as it features 10 resistance levels. Those looking for options with more fitness challenges can opt for this machine. It’s great for cardio, resistance training, and stretching.
The thing is low impact and provides smooth movements, making switching between different exercises a breeze. Plus, it’s ideal for most people of almost all ages. It comes with a wing attachment, larger squat stand, leg pull accessory, dip bars, training deck, 2 stability mats, Total Gym TV access, exercise and nutrition guides, owner’s manual, and DVD—basically, everything you need for performing more than 80 exercises.
Besides the padded glide board, the G5 also has a pillow headrest to provide the ultimate comfort when working out. The unit can support a maximum weight of 375 pounds. However, it can’t replace traditional deadlifts, and dumbell presses.
- 10 resistance levels
- Great for cardio, resistance training, and stretching
- Low impact, smooth movements
- Comes with Total Gym TV access, exercise and nutrition guides, owner’s manual, DVD
- More than 80 exercises
- Padded glide board, pillow headrest
- Can’t replace traditional deadlifts, and dumbell presses
8. Total Gym APEX G1 Versatile Indoor Home Workout
This is the most budget-friendly total gym option on our list, but it doesn’t mean the machine sacrifices the quality. With 6 levels of resistance, it is decent for basic workout needs rather than the challenges that gym sharks look for. It has a 300 lb weight capacity, which is enough for most folks.
The thing doesn’t have a squat stand for squatting and lunging exercises, so you may need to consider this carefully before making the purchase. It’s quite simple, with a slide board and some pulleys. It does come with the wing attachment and an exercise guide to help you start the fitness journey.
You can perform more than 60 exercises on this G1. It’s not a huge number compared to the above options, but it’s a decent choice for those with a tight budget.
- Most budget-friendly
- 300 lb weight capacity
- Exercise guide
- 6 levels of resistance, less challenge
- Fewer exercises
9. Body-Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym
This multi-station home gym comes with heavy-duty and durable construction, and a comfortable padded seat. It comes with 3 pulleys for pulldowns, mid rows, pressdowns, crunches, etc.
Loaded with 210lbs of cast iron resistance, this equipment can accommodate any strength training routines. The thing comes with a full-size workout poster, let bar, straight bar, utility strap, and ab/triceps strap.
The assembly instruction is quite confusing, so putting the parts together can be difficult at first. If you enjoy the versatility when working out, this is a perfect and solid option to own.
- Multi-station home gym
- Heavy-duty and durable construction
- Comfortable padded seat
- Can accommodate any strength training routines
- Assembly instruction is confusing
10. GR8FLEX High Performance Gym – Golden XL Model
This GR8FLEX has a sleek and modern look, while offering 15 levels of resistance. So you can work out in style and with different challenges. What’s more appealing is the lifetime warranty on the whole machine, not just parts.
The thing comes with a wing bar, dip bars, EZ curl bar, leg harness/pulley system, extra sizable squat stand, cell phone holder/stand, crunch ab accessory, soft-grip handles, resistance bands, and mats. Be prepared to burn fat and build muscles with this versatile beast!
The GR8FLEX comes pre-assembled, so the hassle of putting things together is eliminated. Additionally, the company has a website and app that provide all the information and instructions you need to know about the product. Honestly, we don’t have anything to complain about this item.
- 15 levels of resistance
- Lifetime warranty on the whole machine
- Numerous attachments
- Comes pre-assembled
- Website and app with clear instructions, information
Conclusion: Top 3 Picks
It’s great to work out with gym-quality equipment within the comfort of our own home. That’s why investing in the best total gyms is never a waste of money. You can do a wide range of exercises to tone up different muscle groups, from cardio and strength training to stretching and rowing.
We recommend picking the options that feature the functions and designs that suit your fitness needs and goals best. And below, we recommend 3 of our favorites from the list!
- Best Total Gyms For Value: Bowflex Home Gym Series – Blaze
- Best Overall Total Gyms: Total Gym XLS
- Best Challenging Total Gyms: GR8FLEX High Performance Gym
You don’t always have to go to the gym to keep fit and stay healthy. The best total gyms are ideal and convenient alternatives for days when you don’t feel like going out. We hope our post has helped you pick out one for yourself. Don’t forget to share with us your choice in the comment section!